|Published:||Aug 29, 2010 8:15 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 29, 2010 5:09 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - Incumbent Lee County judge Archie Hayward will remain in office following a recount in a closely contested race.
Lee County elections officials say Hayward slightly increased his vote total over challenger Eric Feichthaler, with the final vote difference of 192 votes, or 0.28%, compared to 0.26% after Tuesday's election.
In a statement, former Cape Coral mayor Feichthaler congratulated Hayward on the win, saying, "In a political season plagued with accusations, mudslinging, and negativity, it was a pleasure running an issues-oriented, clean campaign with no negative advertising. I thank Judge Hayward and his supporters for conducting themselves in a similar manner".
The slim margin following the original vote led to an automatic recount under Florida law.
- Gov. Scott wants to cut auto registration fees
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings spotted in SC
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Bike run to benefit Toys for Tots this Saturday
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble
- St. Pete woman accidentally shot boyfriend