|Published:||Aug 29, 2010 8:15 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 29, 2010 5:09 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - Incumbent Lee County judge Archie Hayward will remain in office following a recount in a closely contested race.
Lee County elections officials say Hayward slightly increased his vote total over challenger Eric Feichthaler, with the final vote difference of 192 votes, or 0.28%, compared to 0.26% after Tuesday's election.
In a statement, former Cape Coral mayor Feichthaler congratulated Hayward on the win, saying, "In a political season plagued with accusations, mudslinging, and negativity, it was a pleasure running an issues-oriented, clean campaign with no negative advertising. I thank Judge Hayward and his supporters for conducting themselves in a similar manner".
The slim margin following the original vote led to an automatic recount under Florida law.
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Man accused of shooting neighbor's black Labrador
- Collier school district approves new cyberbullying policy
- Crash kills 3, injures 2 in central Fla.
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- Injunction for husband of woman who drove in ocean
- FMB holds election for Town Council members
- Woman works to improve the Dunbar community