|Published:||Aug 28, 2010 12:46 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 27, 2010 9:34 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla. - Severe thunderstorms with intense lightning and reports of a possible tornado rocked Cape coral Friday night.
According to Cape Coral's Public Information Office...traffic signals were knocked out along Del Prado Boulevard and construction cones were blown around making travel hazardous. Power lines have also been reported down in the SE and NE Cape. Cape Coral officials are also reporting ponding and standing water on many area roads and urge drivers to use caution.
WINK News viewers reported seeing funnel clouds and dangerous lightning.. There are uprooted trees and minor damage to homes in the 900 block of SE 34th street.
About 800 customers in North Fort Myers and Cape Coral are still without power. Crews are working on repairs. And Florida Power and Light was reporting 270 customers without power.
High school football games were also delayed because of the dangerous lightning and heavy downpours.
Keep checking with WINK News for the latest on the storm and its damage.
Mariner High School photo coutesy of the News-Press.
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- FWC releases rehabilitated panther in Hendry County
- Cincy firefighters are heating things up on FMB
- Changes to Lee Way mean customers buy new transponders
- Mom blames husband after driving kids into ocean
- Thieves steal handicapped man's motobility chair