|Published:||Aug 26, 2010 4:41 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 26, 2010 1:42 PM EDT|
MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A young and injured sperm whale that surfaced in the shallow waters of a Miami Beach marina has disappeared.
Experts who examined the animal found injuries to its head, back and tail flukes - possibly from a boat. The calf was miles from its deep-water home and without its mother.
A search for the calf Wednesday carried on for several hours by helicopter and boat, but was eventually called off. Authorities don't plan to resume the effort unless there is another sighting.
A veterinarian was going to euthanize the calf Tuesday and administered some sedatives, but lost the animal in a strong current.
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash
- 3 people killed in Florida Panhandle boat crash