|Published:||Aug 26, 2010 4:41 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 26, 2010 1:42 PM EDT|
MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A young and injured sperm whale that surfaced in the shallow waters of a Miami Beach marina has disappeared.
Experts who examined the animal found injuries to its head, back and tail flukes - possibly from a boat. The calf was miles from its deep-water home and without its mother.
A search for the calf Wednesday carried on for several hours by helicopter and boat, but was eventually called off. Authorities don't plan to resume the effort unless there is another sighting.
A veterinarian was going to euthanize the calf Tuesday and administered some sedatives, but lost the animal in a strong current.
- FMPD IDs victim in fatal shooting, suspect search continues
- Charlotte deputies ID body found in burned garage
- Immokalee man accused of having sex with an 11 y/o
- Two arrested in Fort Myers drug bust
- LCSO detectives search for gas station burglary suspect
- Hazmat team responds to chlorine leak at CCI
- Part of Collier Blvd. closed due to downed power line
- Post-recession reinvention: the pet food business
- Dr. Nancy Graham sworn in as Lee County Superintendent
- Lee County Schools want to spend $180,000 on marketing