|Published:||Aug 26, 2010 7:10 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 26, 2010 4:10 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - The Public Works Department is pleased to announce the arrival of its first hybrid hydraulic powered vehicle. The truck is a Peterbilt Model 320 equipped with Eaton Corporation’s hydraulic launch assist system (HLA).
This is the first hybrid hydraulic recycling truck in the State of Florida. The vehicle was purchased through a grant provided by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) and the use of City funds. This vehicle is designed to provide up to 30% improvement in fuel economy, 30-40% reduction in emissions, and more than a 50% reduction in brake wear when operating in fuel economy mode.
The truck will be used daily to collect residential and commercial recycling operations throughout the City. This makes the recycling truck more environmentally friendly by decreasing emissions and reduces noise, as well.
- Cape city workers find small mobile meth lab in the woods
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case
- Officials: 35 pilot whales moving in deeper water
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- JetBlue Airways opens flight route to Haiti
- FMPD arrests 3 teenaged vehicle burglary suspects
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story