|Published:||Aug 26, 2010 6:05 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 26, 2010 3:05 PM EDT|
BARTOW, Fla. (AP) - A sheriff's deputy ran over and killed a bicyclist in central Florida.
Authorities say the deputy was heading to central booking in his patrol car Wednesday night when he hit a man riding a mountain bike.
Authorities say the deputy didn't see the man until after he hit him. They say the man was wearing dark clothing and there was no street light. They also say the bike had no headlights or taillights.
The man died at the scene.
Authorities say the deputy has been placed on administrative leave, which is routine during such investigations.
- Rep. Trey Radel says he will not resign from Congress
- Driver suffers medical emergency, crashes into Cape home
- Rep. Trey Radel speaks publicly on arrest, rehab and future
- Man reportedly tried to lure 11 y/o into his vehicle
- McGregor Blvd.now open after vehicle hits pedestrian
- Crash at controversial intersection with new traffic light
- Wawa, Chipotle and others come to South Ft. Myers
- Wildlife officials say pelican injuries are on the rise
- FDLE arrests 6 in connection with the inmate escape scheme
- Short in extension cord catches Christmas tree on fire