|Published:||Aug 24, 2010 4:58 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 24, 2010 1:58 PM EDT|
MERRITT ISLAND, Fla. (AP) - A precinct on Florida' Space Coast was shut down for several hours after a suspicious package was found outside it.
Precinct 19 in Merritt Island was closed for several hours Tuesday after the package was discovered outside the recreational center in an area of Brevard County called Kiwanis Island. Clerks at the precinct secured the ballots before evacuating the rec hall.
Brevard elections supervisor Lori Scott says voters were redirected to an elections office in Merritt Island to cast their ballots for governor and U.S. Senate.
Scott says she expects the precinct to be reopened later in the day. She says an initial police X-ray of the package suggested it wasn't harmful.
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Redmond: Man charged with spreading HIV wants case dropped
- WINK News gets Collier call center employees back pay
- Cape Coral Elks Lodge forced to shut its doors
- Four Lee County Schools will have extended hours in January
- Red drift algae could pile up on SWFL beaches in 2014
- Closing of Fla. power plant will take 60 years
- Real life grinch steals Christmas stockings
- Beach renourishment winds down in Naples
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex