|Published:||Aug 24, 2010 4:33 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 24, 2010 1:33 PM EDT|
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - Authorities have taken custody of five Orlando children whose mother allegedly left them home alone while she spent the night partying.
A judge determined the children couldn't remain with 29-year-old Formeka Sanders or Sanders' mother, who has a history of drug use.
Sanders was arrested on child neglect charges early Monday morning after a security guard found her 4-year-old wandering a parking lot. The boy said he was alone and led the guard to an apartment where four siblings ranging in age from 2 to 12 years were sleeping.
Responding officers tried to call Sanders several times, but say they could only hear loud music when she picked up.
Investigators say Sanders told them she believed the 12-year-old was responsible enough to care for his siblings.
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash
- CCSO: no reason to believe accused murderer heading to SWFL
- 3 people killed in Florida Panhandle boat crash
- Man who rescued motorcycle rider, killed in crash on Friday