|Published:||Aug 23, 2010 3:31 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 23, 2010 12:31 PM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - Jack Horkheimer, creator and host of the PBS show "Star Gazer," has died.
The Miami Museum of Science and Space Transit Planetarium, where Horkheimer was director emeritus, said the astronomer died Friday afternoon of a respiratory ailment. He was 72.
Horkheimer was director of the planetarium for more than 35 years.
In a statement, museum officials said Horkheimer's show reached millions of people, creating generations of astronomy enthusiasts.
He is also credited with popularizing naked-eye astronomy.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- Vehicle catches fire on Oil Well Rd.
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- Estero firefighters rescue impaled seagull
- FWC releases rehabilitated panther in Hendry County