|Published:||Aug 23, 2010 3:31 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 23, 2010 12:31 PM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - Jack Horkheimer, creator and host of the PBS show "Star Gazer," has died.
The Miami Museum of Science and Space Transit Planetarium, where Horkheimer was director emeritus, said the astronomer died Friday afternoon of a respiratory ailment. He was 72.
Horkheimer was director of the planetarium for more than 35 years.
In a statement, museum officials said Horkheimer's show reached millions of people, creating generations of astronomy enthusiasts.
He is also credited with popularizing naked-eye astronomy.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Teacher accused of relationship with 18 y/o student resigns
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- Salvation Army receives another 'Mimi coin' donation
- 1 suspect in Miami-Dade police manhunt identified