MIAMI (AP) - Jack Horkheimer, creator and host of the PBS show "Star Gazer," has died.
The Miami Museum of Science and Space Transit Planetarium, where Horkheimer was director emeritus, said the astronomer died Friday afternoon of a respiratory ailment. He was 72.
Horkheimer was director of the planetarium for more than 35 years.
In a statement, museum officials said Horkheimer's show reached millions of people, creating generations of astronomy enthusiasts.
He is also credited with popularizing naked-eye astronomy.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
- 20-year-old girl dies in Cape Coral scooter crash
- $590M-plus Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Bikers participate in Collier County 'Freedom Ride'
- Friends Mourn Friend Killed in Motor Scooter Crash
- Body of autistic boy vacationing in Fla. is found
- Fla. Gov. will veto 3 percent college tuition hike
- Fla. gov. steps up pace on signing death warrants
- Hundreds of bikers honor military with Freedom Ride 2013
- Consumer group flags high SPF ratings on sunscreen
- Click it or Ticket campaign begins May 20th