|Published:||Aug 23, 2010 6:22 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 23, 2010 3:22 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - The Coast Guard is responding to a barge that ran aground on the southern tip of Gasparilla Island at about 11:30 a.m., Monday.
The 25-foot tug Renee, owned by American Marine Constructors, Inc., was transporting a 135-foot barge carrying five tons of rock to the El Jobean bridge, when the Renee reportedly experienced steering problems.
Members from Coast Guard Marine Safety Detachment Fort Myers and Coast Guard Station Fort Myers Beach were investigating the cause of tug's steering failure when the barge broke free and ran around on the beach.
Members from Coast Guard Marine Safety Detachment Fort Myers are inspecting the barge for damage and will conduct alcohol and drug testing on the Renee crew members.
There were no pollution or injuries reported and no vessel traffic has been affected.
Please check http://www.d7publicaffairs.com for updates.
- Cape Coral man arrested for child neglect
- Deadly motorcycle crash in Lehigh Acres
- Man catches dog thief in the act
- U.S. 41 Northbound Blocked near Andrea Lane
- Homeless chilren create Pictures of Hope
- Naples beach renourishment project set to wrap up next week
- Adopting a shelter pet this holiday season