|Published:||Aug 20, 2010 4:00 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 20, 2010 1:01 PM EDT|
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - A central Florida man has been convicted of fatally shooting one man and injuring two others outside an Orlando nightclub.
An Orange County jury found 27-year-old Xavier Ortiz-Reyes guilty Thursday of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted first-degree murder. He faces a mandatory life sentence at a hearing later this month.
Authorities say Ortiz-Reyes and his friends got into a series of fights with another group outside the Roxy Nightclub one night in January 2008. Witnesses say Ortiz-Reyes went to the other group saying he wanted to talk to them and stop the fighting. He got into a car to talk with the other men, but when he got out, he fired shots into the vehicle, killing 25-year-old Omar Nunez and wounding two others.
Ortiz-Reyes testified that he fired in self-defense.
- Suspects in San Carlos Park home invasion caught
- How you can help tornado victims in Oklahoma
- Lee school board narrows down superintendent search
- FHP releases final report on deadly Alligator Alley Accident
- Charlotte detectives look for suspect in credit card fraud
- Judge steps down in Watlington vs. McGregor Baptist case
- Fort Myers Florist launches DIY wedding flower sessions
- Vandals cause damage at St. Leo's Catholic church
- Florida emergency officials ready to assist OK victims
- Englewood man arrested on child pornography charges