|Published:||Aug 20, 2010 3:18 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 20, 2010 1:35 AM EDT|
LEHIGH ACRES, Fla - A Lehigh animal hospital refused to answer questions about whether it put several dogs to sleep because the owners can't pay for boarding them.
Vets at Lehigh Acres Animal Hospital had nothing to say to our cameras after we asked whether it was okay to euthanize two dogs because its owners couldn't pay more than $2,000 in boarding fees.
Taylor's Tears Animal Rescue in Fort Myers tried to step in and help.
The group reached out to the hospital and said they would take in the dogs until some sort of payment plan was worked out, but were turned down.
Animal Services says the whole situation is a civil matter.
Legally, the hospital has to serve papers to the family saying they have until a certain date to pay the bills or they give up ownership of the dogs.
The family says they have not received any paperwork.
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- One person dead after early morning accident
- Thieves steal handicapped man's motobility chair
- Immokalee firefighters donate new bikes after damaging one
- Taxpayers footing the bill for Damas hearings, treatment
- Interactive play to teach dangers of drug use