|Published:||Aug 19, 2010 5:01 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 19, 2010 2:01 PM EDT|
CRESCENT BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Authorities are confirming that a boy bitten while boogie boarding off northeast Florida was bitten by a shark.
The St. Johns County Sheriff's Office says 10-year-old Seth Shorten of Gainesville was in waist-deep water off Crescent Beach on Wednesday morning when he was bitten on his right foot.
Sgt. Chuck Mulligan says the boy saw the 3-foot shark just before he was bitten.
Paramedics treated the boy for a superficial wound and his father drove him to a St. Augustine. Mulligan hospital.
Mulligan said Thursday that a shark tooth was found in the wound on Seth's heel. The boy needed stitches.
It's the fourth apparent shark bite along northeast Florida's beaches this summer.
- FMPD IDs victim in fatal shooting, suspect search continues
- Charlotte deputies ID body found in burned garage
- Immokalee man accused of having sex with an 11 y/o
- Police find 2 bodies inside West Palm Beach school
- Fla. school tells students to drop online classes
- Two arrested in Fort Myers drug bust
- 2 children remain hospitalized after near drowning incidents
- LCSO detectives search for gas station burglary suspect
- Judge sends N. Fla. man to prison for life
- Hazmat team responds to chlorine leak at CCI