|Published:||Aug 19, 2010 5:01 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 19, 2010 2:01 PM EDT|
CRESCENT BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Authorities are confirming that a boy bitten while boogie boarding off northeast Florida was bitten by a shark.
The St. Johns County Sheriff's Office says 10-year-old Seth Shorten of Gainesville was in waist-deep water off Crescent Beach on Wednesday morning when he was bitten on his right foot.
Sgt. Chuck Mulligan says the boy saw the 3-foot shark just before he was bitten.
Paramedics treated the boy for a superficial wound and his father drove him to a St. Augustine. Mulligan hospital.
Mulligan said Thursday that a shark tooth was found in the wound on Seth's heel. The boy needed stitches.
It's the fourth apparent shark bite along northeast Florida's beaches this summer.
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- 'Magic' Johnson to speak at Quality Life Center fundraiser
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'
- 3 Miami-Dade officers shot, 2 suspects killed
- UNF golfer killed in small plane crash
- 3 arrested in stolen exam scheme at FIU