|Published:||Aug 18, 2010 10:52 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 18, 2010 7:52 PM EDT|
MILTON, Fla. (AP) - A Florida Panhandle woman has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for the death of her husband.
As part of a plea agreement, 42-year-old Kimberly Mary Cannon pleaded guilty Tuesday to voluntary manslaughter. She had faced a first-degree murder charge.
Cannon was arrested in 2008 after DNA evidence linked a leg bone found on property surrounding her Santa Rosa County home to Daren Kelley.
Kelley was last seen Memorial Day weekend of 1995. Cannon had said she believed her husband abandoned her in a divorce petition she filed in October of that year.
According to her plea deal, Cannon had to explain how she killed Kelley. She says she beat him to death with a hammer during a fight and then burned his body the next day.
- Hostage situation ends in house fire, man found dead inside
- Ft. Myers man dies in New Jersey crash, wife critically hurt
- FWC relocates largest black bear captured in Fla.
- Sun Splash Waterpark begins summer hours Friday
- Desoto officials search for missing Nocatee man
- Investigation determines electrical problems caused bus fire
- Union vote set for some Lee Co. government workers
- Crash with injuries on Veterans at Chiquita blocks traffic
- Salvation Army of Fla. assists Oklahoma tornado victims
- Island Park brush fire remains mostly contained