|Published:||Aug 18, 2010 10:52 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 18, 2010 7:52 PM EDT|
MILTON, Fla. (AP) - A Florida Panhandle woman has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for the death of her husband.
As part of a plea agreement, 42-year-old Kimberly Mary Cannon pleaded guilty Tuesday to voluntary manslaughter. She had faced a first-degree murder charge.
Cannon was arrested in 2008 after DNA evidence linked a leg bone found on property surrounding her Santa Rosa County home to Daren Kelley.
Kelley was last seen Memorial Day weekend of 1995. Cannon had said she believed her husband abandoned her in a divorce petition she filed in October of that year.
According to her plea deal, Cannon had to explain how she killed Kelley. She says she beat him to death with a hammer during a fight and then burned his body the next day.
- Father buries son, exhumes casket to find it a mess
- Head-on collision blocks part of Vanderbilt Beach Rd.
- Florida Everblades deliver bears to children's hospital
- Lack of qualified labor for Cape Coral construction jobs
- Judge says the lights must go on in one Collier neighborhood
- Safe havens for children double in Southwest Florida
- One-handed basketball player shoots, scores at City of Palms
- Fla. homeowner's group bans playing in street
- Santa's helpers sorting through mail
- Cape Coral firefighters quickly put out house fire