|Published:||Aug 17, 2010 4:02 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 17, 2010 1:02 PM EDT|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A Tampa congresswoman rallied with seniors to mark the 75th anniversary of Social Security.
U.S. Rep. Kathy Castor marked the occasion at Fountainview Estates in northwest Hillsborough County.
The Democrat told those gathered that "Social Security is a fundamental promise to Americans that no matter what happens in our lives, we will have security and stability."
Those comments echoed President Barack Obama's weekend statement on the anniversary of President Franklin D. Roosevelt signing Social Security into law.
Obama accused some Republican leaders in Congress of pushing to privatize Social Security, which he says would tie benefits "to the whims of Wall Street traders and the ups and downs of the stock market."
- Power Outage Delays FGCU Game. Power Surge causes TV delay
- Firefighters rescue driver from atop his submerged vehicle
- Despite loss, FGCU fans make the best of game day
- LCSO searches for hit & run suspect, bicyclist hospitalized
- Crist defends President Obama, blasts Scott
- Security plans for Boston Marathon to be detailed