|Published:||Aug 17, 2010 4:02 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 17, 2010 1:02 PM EDT|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A Tampa congresswoman rallied with seniors to mark the 75th anniversary of Social Security.
U.S. Rep. Kathy Castor marked the occasion at Fountainview Estates in northwest Hillsborough County.
The Democrat told those gathered that "Social Security is a fundamental promise to Americans that no matter what happens in our lives, we will have security and stability."
Those comments echoed President Barack Obama's weekend statement on the anniversary of President Franklin D. Roosevelt signing Social Security into law.
Obama accused some Republican leaders in Congress of pushing to privatize Social Security, which he says would tie benefits "to the whims of Wall Street traders and the ups and downs of the stock market."
- Deputies find body at scene of Pt. Charlotte house fire
- Woman faces DUI charges after crash involving 6 children
- 4 Collier Co. children involved in 2 near drowning incidents
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- Top choice drops out of consideration for Lee Co. Manager
- DCF investigates Cape Coral infant's death
- Storage unit swiper targets Cape Coral facility
- LDAS seeks information regarding 2nd recent cat shooting
- Car crashes into store on Golden Gate Pkwy.
- Man allegedly shoots step-son in face for being a 'moocher'