|Published:||Aug 17, 2010 4:02 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 17, 2010 1:02 PM EDT|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A Tampa congresswoman rallied with seniors to mark the 75th anniversary of Social Security.
U.S. Rep. Kathy Castor marked the occasion at Fountainview Estates in northwest Hillsborough County.
The Democrat told those gathered that "Social Security is a fundamental promise to Americans that no matter what happens in our lives, we will have security and stability."
Those comments echoed President Barack Obama's weekend statement on the anniversary of President Franklin D. Roosevelt signing Social Security into law.
Obama accused some Republican leaders in Congress of pushing to privatize Social Security, which he says would tie benefits "to the whims of Wall Street traders and the ups and downs of the stock market."
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- 'Magic' Johnson to speak at Quality Life Center fundraiser
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'
- 3 Miami-Dade officers shot, 2 suspects killed
- UNF golfer killed in small plane crash
- 3 arrested in stolen exam scheme at FIU