|Published:||Aug 17, 2010 4:16 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 17, 2010 1:16 PM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - A father and stepmother are accused of ignoring a young boy until he weighed just more than half of what the child should weigh.
Roberto Fortin and Yoselin Aguiree are charged with one count of child neglect. Jail records show both were being held late Monday night in the county jail. It was not immediately known if either has an attorney.
The 30-year-old Fortin told a doctor that his son wasn't breathing properly. The arrest report says the doctor noticed that the boy was severely malnourished and weighed about 40 pounds, which was nearly 30 pounds under what a normal child his age should weight. The boy's age was not released.
The Miami Herald reports Fortin pleaded no contest in 2006 in the death of his 9-month-old son who drowned in a bathtub.
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Support for smack cam victim grows, victim responds
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Alamo gun range set to open in February in Naples
- Toddler apparently drowned in canal
- Woman charged with DUI, crashing into school bus
- Grace Church's worm farms help students with special needs
- New marina, dry boat storage facility in Cape Coral