|Published:||Aug 17, 2010 4:04 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 17, 2010 1:04 PM EDT|
MASCOTTE, Fla. (AP) - Police say a central Florida boy helped his pregnant mother fight off a sexual assault by using a broom to swat her attacker.
Mascotte police say 55-year-old Michael Minchey broke into the family's home Sunday evening, straddled the woman and tried to rip open her shirt. The boy overheard the attack and swatted the man with a broom, and the woman kneed Minchey in the groin.
The alleged attacker fled the family's home. Police tracked him to his residence and arrested him on charges of burglary, aggravated battery, attempted rape and child abuse.
A police report shows Minchey told officers the woman was a liar. He was being held on $60,000 bond. He didn't immediately have an attorney.
Police didn't identify the victim, her son or release the boy's age.
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- Thieves steal handicapped man's motobility chair
- Deadly accident in Fort Myers
- Taxpayers footing the bill for Damas hearings, treatment
- Immokalee firefighters donate new bikes after damaging one
- Interactive play to teach dangers of drug use