Published: Aug 17, 2010 11:28 PM EDT
Updated: Aug 17, 2010 5:11 PM EDT

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - BP plans to stop processing claims from people and businesses hurt by the Gulf oil spill as it prepares to transfer that role to a government-appointed administrator.

The company says it will stop accepting new claims after Wednesday. The Gulf Coast Claims Facility, led by Kenneth Feinberg, will take over the process starting Aug. 23.

BP PLC says it's paid roughly $368 million to invididuals and businesses, including about $102 million so far in August. Claims filed by government entities, as opposed to people and businesses, will still be handled by the British energy giant.

Feinberg is scheduled to be in Louisiana on Wednesday to meet with residents and answer questions about how the claims process will work.