|Published:||Aug 13, 2010 4:02 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 13, 2010 1:02 PM EDT|
TRENTON, Fla. (AP) - A central Florida toddler drowned in his family's swimming pool a week before his second birthday.
The Gilchrist County Sheriff's Office says Maxwell Spears was unresponsive after his grandfather pulled him out Thursday.
Investigators say the accident happened in an aboveground pool, but the child could've walked straight into it on a deck connecting the pool to the home.
Maxwell's father and grandfather were doing household chores while watching him and another child. The grandfather returned from the laundry room to find the back door open and the boy in the pool.
The father and grandfather performed CPR until an ambulance arrived.
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Update: Cape Coral kid hit by car doing 'a lot better'
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- Sheriff: Fla. man kills wife, son with crossbow
- Gifts, volunteers needed for adopt-a-senior holiday program
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Support for smack cam victim grows, victim responds
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Grinch steals Christmas trees from Lemon Bay students
- Former Cape mayoral candidate faces fraud charge