PORT RICHEY, Fla. (AP) - A Tampa Bay-area teen has pleaded no contest to raping an 89-year-old woman at her Pasco County home.
Court records show 16-year-old Carlos Fernandez pleaded no contest Friday to two counts of sexual battery, one count of home invasion robbery and six counts of burglary. He had previously rejected a plea deal for 30 years in prison. He could face up to life at his sentencing later this year.
Authorities say Fernandez, 16-year-old Luis Reyes Jr. and 21-year-old Johnathan Rodriguez broke into the woman's home in April 2009, assaulted the woman in bed and ransacked her home. The woman, who was severely bruised in the attack, told authorities someone held a pillow over her face.
Reyes pleaded no contest to the same charges in July, and the case against Rodriguez is still pending.
- Shooting investigation in North Fort Myers
- Group protests taxes in Cape Coral by a 'Call to Arms'
- Small Fla. city anxious to learn jackpot winner
- Jungle Golf fundraiser putts for patriots
- Truck carrying mulch rolls over at Colonial & Plantation
- Miss. probationer caught in central Florida
- Long-term care Medicaid patients start enrolling