|Published:||Aug 13, 2010 2:51 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 13, 2010 12:51 PM EDT|
BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) - A man and woman drowned in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Manatee County.
The sheriff's office reports that a married couple and their friend were swimming and rafting off northern Anna Maria Island Thursday afternoon when the wife and the friend began to struggle in strong currents. The couple's son called for help, and the son, the husband and other bystanders helped the two distressed swimmers out of the water.
The married couple, their son and the friend were all taken to a Bradenton hospital. The woman and friend went into cardiac arrest and died.
The names of the four victims weren't immediately released, but the sheriff's office says they were visiting from Tampa.
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Redmond: Man charged with spreading HIV wants case dropped
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- WINK News gets Collier call center employees back pay
- Cape Coral Elks Lodge forced to shut its doors
- Four Lee County Schools will have extended hours in January
- Red drift algae could pile up on SWFL beaches in 2014
- Closing of Fla. power plant will take 60 years
- Real life grinch steals Christmas stockings
- Beach renourishment winds down in Naples