|Published:||Aug 12, 2010 4:26 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 12, 2010 1:26 PM EDT|
GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) - The University of Florida Police Department has dismissed a commanding officer who was present during the March shooting of a doctoral student.
Chief Linda Stump announced Wednesday that the contract of Lt. Stacy Ettel has not been renewed. An internal investigation found that Ettel had violated three major department policies in dealing with the mentally ill man.
Kofi Adu-Brempong was shot in the face and hand while holding a metal table leg in a way officers said they found threatening.
Prosecutors said in June that charges against Adu-Brempong would be dismissed if the 36-year-old doesn't violate any laws, attends counseling and takes required medication.
Four other campus officers - including the officer who actually shot Adu-Brempong - were reinstated to full duty last month.
- Suspects in San Carlos Park home invasion caught
- FHP releases final report on deadly Alligator Alley Accident
- How you can help tornado victims in Oklahoma
- Charlotte detectives look for suspect in credit card fraud
- Judge steps down in Watlington vs. McGregor Baptist case
- How hurricanes get their names
- $60K approved for Lee school district convention
- The Salvation Army is answering the call for help
- SOLD: Lee County school buildings
- New Florida voting law