|Published:||Aug 12, 2010 10:34 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 12, 2010 7:34 PM EDT|
VIERA, Fla. (AP) - A Brevard County man has been sentenced to a year in jail for killing two of his dogs after they attacked another dog.
Rusty Lewark also received nine years probation Thursday, during which time he will not be allowed to own pets. The 26-year-old pleaded guilty in June to animal cruelty charges.
Rockledge police arrested Lewark in February after investigators say he struck one of his dogs repeatedly on the head until it died and then put a noose around the neck of the other dog and strangled it. The pit bulls, named Pestilence and Chaos, had reportedly attacked one of his mixed-breed dogs.
A family member reported Lewark to authorities.
Investigators reported finding the carcasses of the dogs in a trash bin.
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Update: Cape Coral kid hit by car doing 'a lot better'
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- Sheriff: Fla. man kills wife, son with crossbow
- Gifts, volunteers needed for adopt-a-senior holiday program
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Pt. Charlotte street closed due to roadway collapse
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Support for smack cam victim grows, victim responds
- Grinch steals Christmas trees from Lemon Bay students