|Published:||Aug 12, 2010 4:55 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 12, 2010 1:55 PM EDT|
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - The largest warship in Great Britain's Royal Navy is making a monthlong stop at the Jacksonville area's Mayport Naval Station.
The crew of the HMS Ocean is about halfway through its deployment. Members are spending time in Mayport to fix up the vessel, train and relax after a long Atlantic crossing.
The HMS Ocean serves as Great Britain's only helicopter-focused amphibious assault ship. The United Kingdom has other amphibious ships of different classes and types.
The ship's upcoming mission will include bringing along two different types of Lynx helicopters and different land vehicles and seacraft. The more than 370 sailors also plan conferences in Brazil, conducting operations in Sierra Leone and handling maritime security in the Gulf of Guinea.
- FMPD IDs victim in fatal shooting, suspect search continues
- Charlotte deputies ID body found in burned garage
- Police find 2 bodies inside West Palm Beach school
- Immokalee man accused of having sex with an 11 y/o
- Fla. school tells students to drop online classes
- 2 children remain hospitalized after near drowning incidents
- Judge sends N. Fla. man to prison for life
- School board approves new superintendent's contract
- Poll: Rubio gets negative marks on immigration
- Dr. Joseph Burke's Last Day as Superintendent