|Published:||Aug 12, 2010 4:55 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 12, 2010 1:55 PM EDT|
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - The largest warship in Great Britain's Royal Navy is making a monthlong stop at the Jacksonville area's Mayport Naval Station.
The crew of the HMS Ocean is about halfway through its deployment. Members are spending time in Mayport to fix up the vessel, train and relax after a long Atlantic crossing.
The HMS Ocean serves as Great Britain's only helicopter-focused amphibious assault ship. The United Kingdom has other amphibious ships of different classes and types.
The ship's upcoming mission will include bringing along two different types of Lynx helicopters and different land vehicles and seacraft. The more than 370 sailors also plan conferences in Brazil, conducting operations in Sierra Leone and handling maritime security in the Gulf of Guinea.
- Cape Police find child living in deplorable conditions
- Deputies confiscate handgun from students at Alva Middle
- Lee County judge rules in favor of son in life or death case
- Ford logo creates close call for FGCU men's basketball team
- FGCU WINS!
- Cape PD: Man buys iPad with stolen credit card
- Teens arrested with gun at school were searched Wednesday
- Principal charged with sexually assaulting staffer
- Cape Coral Police shoot 'aggressive' dog on SW 6th Ave.
- Sailboat off Marco Island tries to ride out Thursday's storm