|Published:||Aug 11, 2010 5:00 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 11, 2010 1:53 PM EDT|
CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) - The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office says a deputy has died after crashing his truck through a perimeter fence and into a retention pond at the county jail.
Sgt. Richard N. Keyser was killed early Wednesday. He was driving his own truck and not on duty at the time.
A sheriff's spokeswoman said Keyser crashed into an area of the jail that is not accessible to the public, and that it is unclear what he was doing at the jail.
Keyser's wife is a former sheriff's sergeant who was injured in a 2008 car accident. She became a quadriplegic after next surgery and has required around-the-clock care.
The couple had six children.
- Human remains found on Shell Point Blvd.
- Cape woman suffers serious burns after morning kitchen fire
- LCSO investigates a death at Edison State College
- Dr. Burke gives last speech before retirement
- Lee Dept. of Health offers free pool testing kit
- Ohio cop, wife face child neglect charge in Fla.
- Fla. woman meets son she gave up for adoption
- Fla. Gov. asked to return money to insurer
- Memorial Day weekend travel expected to mirror last year
- Hurricane center: Beware of the storm surge