|Published:||Aug 11, 2010 5:00 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 11, 2010 1:53 PM EDT|
CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) - The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office says a deputy has died after crashing his truck through a perimeter fence and into a retention pond at the county jail.
Sgt. Richard N. Keyser was killed early Wednesday. He was driving his own truck and not on duty at the time.
A sheriff's spokeswoman said Keyser crashed into an area of the jail that is not accessible to the public, and that it is unclear what he was doing at the jail.
Keyser's wife is a former sheriff's sergeant who was injured in a 2008 car accident. She became a quadriplegic after next surgery and has required around-the-clock care.
The couple had six children.
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Fla. man guilty in taxi, food delivery robberies
- Search ends for 2 missing from migrants' raft