|Published:||Aug 11, 2010 5:00 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 11, 2010 1:53 PM EDT|
CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) - The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office says a deputy has died after crashing his truck through a perimeter fence and into a retention pond at the county jail.
Sgt. Richard N. Keyser was killed early Wednesday. He was driving his own truck and not on duty at the time.
A sheriff's spokeswoman said Keyser crashed into an area of the jail that is not accessible to the public, and that it is unclear what he was doing at the jail.
Keyser's wife is a former sheriff's sergeant who was injured in a 2008 car accident. She became a quadriplegic after next surgery and has required around-the-clock care.
The couple had six children.
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Neighbors saw red flags ahead of animal cruelty arrest
- Fire officials say radios need upgrades by 2017
- Local repairman fixes broken Cape Coral clock for free
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Republican candidates take part in forum in Coliler County
- Lee deputies investigating shooting on Bokeelia