|Published:||Aug 11, 2010 5:00 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 11, 2010 1:53 PM EDT|
CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) - The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office says a deputy has died after crashing his truck through a perimeter fence and into a retention pond at the county jail.
Sgt. Richard N. Keyser was killed early Wednesday. He was driving his own truck and not on duty at the time.
A sheriff's spokeswoman said Keyser crashed into an area of the jail that is not accessible to the public, and that it is unclear what he was doing at the jail.
Keyser's wife is a former sheriff's sergeant who was injured in a 2008 car accident. She became a quadriplegic after next surgery and has required around-the-clock care.
The couple had six children.
- Early morning crash on US 41 kills pedestrian
- Man surrenders after lengthy situation in St. James City
- Thieves steal handicapped man's motobility chair
- Interactive play to teach dangers of drug use
- Immokalee firefighters donate new bikes after damaging one
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- Crash kills 3, injures 2 in central Fla.
- FMB holds election for Town Council members
- Man accused of shooting neighbor's black Labrador
- Stolen puppy returned to Pensacola pet store