|Published:||Aug 11, 2010 11:10 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 11, 2010 6:50 PM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - A Florida woman who accused New York Mets pitcher Johan Santana of rape is suing him after authorities declined to prosecute the case.
The lawsuit filed Tuesday in Lee County accuses Santana of wrongful imprisonment and rape in southwest Florida in Oct. 2009. The 35-year-old single mother of two children is only identified as Jane Doe. The lawsuit seeks damages in excess of $15,000.
Santana said Tuesday that "there were no more comments about that." Mets spokesman Jay Horwitz said Wednesday they were aware of the lawsuit but had not reviewed it.
The woman's attorney says the lawsuit was filed after investigators decided not to pursue the criminal case, and because
his client thought Santana was not taking it seriously.
The woman and Santana were neighbors near Fort Myers, Fla., at the time.
- Public IDs woman accused of stealing from elderly victim
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Snow forecasted for Golden Gate Community Park Saturday
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- Cape Police arrest reckless driver near recent accident site
- FHP investigates fatality on SB I-75 near Corkscrew Rd.
- Deputies arrest student accused of bringing knife to school
- Officials: 20 whales spotted closer to shore
- 2 die in South Florida motorcycle crash