|Published:||Aug 11, 2010 11:10 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 11, 2010 6:50 PM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - A Florida woman who accused New York Mets pitcher Johan Santana of rape is suing him after authorities declined to prosecute the case.
The lawsuit filed Tuesday in Lee County accuses Santana of wrongful imprisonment and rape in southwest Florida in Oct. 2009. The 35-year-old single mother of two children is only identified as Jane Doe. The lawsuit seeks damages in excess of $15,000.
Santana said Tuesday that "there were no more comments about that." Mets spokesman Jay Horwitz said Wednesday they were aware of the lawsuit but had not reviewed it.
The woman's attorney says the lawsuit was filed after investigators decided not to pursue the criminal case, and because
his client thought Santana was not taking it seriously.
The woman and Santana were neighbors near Fort Myers, Fla., at the time.
- Employees owed money after comedy club closes down
- Cape councilman McClain stays
- Gov. Scott leads trade mission to Chile this week
- Lee Tran routes on proposed budget chopping block
- State Board of Education to get legislative update
- Spada to host salon & spa event for at-risk girls
- Enhanced lightning detection on Sanibel Island
- FHP investigating accident Lehigh Acres