|Published:||Aug 11, 2010 3:46 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 11, 2010 12:46 PM EDT|
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - A central Florida man has been sentenced to 38 years in prison for fatally stabbing a homeless man in Ocoee last year.
An Orange County judge sentenced 20-year-old John Hawthorne Tuesday. He was convicted of second-degree murder in July for the death of Joel Boner. Hawthorne could have received a life sentence.
Authorities say Hawthorne and a friend were riding an ATV in Ocoee when they found the homeless man's camp on private property.
Hawthorne's friend said Hawthorne began to follow Boner before engaging in a fight, but Hawthorne testified that the man attacked him.
The friend said he had to knock Boner off Hawthorne, who then stabbed Boner many times with his pocket knife.
Hawthorne is planning to appeal the sentence.
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- Holiday event raises funds for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Lee County Sheriff's deputies investigating copper theft
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash