|Published:||Aug 11, 2010 3:52 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 11, 2010 12:52 PM EDT|
BROOKSVILLE, Fla. (AP) - A Spring Hill man has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for fatally beating his mother with a remote control and holding her underwater in the family pool.
A Hernando County judge gave 59-year-old Kevin Simmons the maximum sentence on Tuesday. He pleaded guilty in June to second-degree murder in order to avoid going to trial for first-degree murder. In that case, he could have faced the death penalty.
Simmons' mother, 81-year-old Dorothy Simmons, was living with Kevin Simmons and his wife in August 2008 when authorities say he went into her bedroom and began hitting her with a telephone and TV remote. He then reportedly dragged her to the backyard to the pool.
Simmons' attorney said her client was in a "psychotic state" on the day he killed his mother.
- Woman's throat slit by daughter's boyfriend, 15
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- Vehicle catches fire on Oil Well Rd.
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- Estero firefighters rescue impaled seagull