|Published:||Aug 11, 2010 3:52 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 11, 2010 12:52 PM EDT|
BROOKSVILLE, Fla. (AP) - A Spring Hill man has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for fatally beating his mother with a remote control and holding her underwater in the family pool.
A Hernando County judge gave 59-year-old Kevin Simmons the maximum sentence on Tuesday. He pleaded guilty in June to second-degree murder in order to avoid going to trial for first-degree murder. In that case, he could have faced the death penalty.
Simmons' mother, 81-year-old Dorothy Simmons, was living with Kevin Simmons and his wife in August 2008 when authorities say he went into her bedroom and began hitting her with a telephone and TV remote. He then reportedly dragged her to the backyard to the pool.
Simmons' attorney said her client was in a "psychotic state" on the day he killed his mother.
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- WINK News gets Collier call center employees back pay
- Cape Coral Elks Lodge forced to shut its doors
- Four Lee County Schools will have extended hours in January
- Red drift algae could pile up on SWFL beaches in 2014
- Closing of Fla. power plant will take 60 years
- Real life grinch steals Christmas stockings
- Beach renourishment winds down in Naples
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex
- Man bitten by shark in foot in Cocoa Beach