|Published:||Aug 11, 2010 3:52 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 11, 2010 12:52 PM EDT|
BROOKSVILLE, Fla. (AP) - A Spring Hill man has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for fatally beating his mother with a remote control and holding her underwater in the family pool.
A Hernando County judge gave 59-year-old Kevin Simmons the maximum sentence on Tuesday. He pleaded guilty in June to second-degree murder in order to avoid going to trial for first-degree murder. In that case, he could have faced the death penalty.
Simmons' mother, 81-year-old Dorothy Simmons, was living with Kevin Simmons and his wife in August 2008 when authorities say he went into her bedroom and began hitting her with a telephone and TV remote. He then reportedly dragged her to the backyard to the pool.
Simmons' attorney said her client was in a "psychotic state" on the day he killed his mother.
- FMPD IDs victim in fatal shooting, suspect search continues
- Charlotte deputies ID body found in burned garage
- Immokalee man accused of having sex with an 11 y/o
- Police find 2 bodies inside West Palm Beach school
- Fla. school tells students to drop online classes
- 2 children remain hospitalized after near drowning incidents
- Judge sends N. Fla. man to prison for life
- School board approves new superintendent's contract
- Poll: Rubio gets negative marks on immigration
- LCSO detectives search for gas station burglary suspect