Published: Aug 11, 2010 10:04 PM EDT
Updated: Aug 11, 2010 7:04 PM EDT

LEE COUNTY, Fla. - The discovery of an abandoned safe in a vacant field by a Lee County Mosquito Control pilot led to the arrests of two juveniles who are charged with several felony counts. John Andrew Horn III (DOB: 01/04/1993) and Javier Ivan Guzman (DOB: 08/04/1993) were charged with Burglary, Larceny - Grand Theft (Firearm) and Larceny - Grand Theft.

On July 21, Cape Coral Police were contacted by the residents at 2846 NW 3rd Street about a burglary. According to the victims, they had returned home from work at about 5:20 p.m. and found their home burglarized by someone who smashed the front door glass with a rock. A black Sentry safe was stolen, which contained important paperwork and two handguns. Also missing from the closet were a shotgun, assault rifle and Xbox 360.

On August 4, a helicopter pilot with Lee County Mosquito Control landed his chopper in a vacant field at the southeast corner of Burnt Store Road and Embers Parkway for a break. Upon landing, he noticed a black, Sentry safe that was pried open and laying in the bushes. The pilot contacted Cape Coral Police, and the safe and its contents were placed into evidence. Cape Coral Police Forensics Technician Lisa Lansky processed the evidence and discovered that a latent print recovered from the contents matched the fingerprint of John A. Horn III.


On Monday, August 9, Cape Coral Police detectives Jason Hicks, Nick Jones and Josh Silko met with Horn and his father at their residence. Horn initially denied any knowledge of the burglary or the safe. Eventually, he did admit to helping his friend, Javier Guzman, break open the safe but denied participating in the burglary or taking possession of any of the stolen items. Horn said he would contact Guzman to see if he could recover any of the guns.

Det. Hicks and Det. Jones then went to Guzman's home to speak with him about the burglary. They spoke to Guzman's mother until he arrived a few minutes later. Guzman agreed to talk to detectives. He admitted to burglarizing the home at 2846 NW 3rd Street and taking the guns from the closet. He said he was unable to carry the safe out due to its weight, so he contacted Horn to help him remove it. Guzman said Horn drove his vehicle over to the home, and the two of them loaded the safe into the back of the vehicle. They then took the safe to Guzman's garage where Horn was able to open it with a hammer. Guzman said that Horn took the assault rifle and one of the handguns to sell, while Guzman kept the shotgun and the second handgun.

Detectives obtained permission from Guzman's mother to search the house for stolen items, and they found the two guns and ammunition. One of the guns had the serial number scratched off, and Guzman admitted that he had attempted to remove the number so that it could not be identified as being from the residence he burglarized.

Based on the evidence, Guzman was arrested and transported to the Juvenile Assessment. Center.

On August 10 at 3:51 p.m., John A. Horn arrived at Police Headquarters and surrendered to Det. Hicks. He was arrested and transported to the JAC.