|Published:||Aug 10, 2010 4:11 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 10, 2010 2:04 AM EDT|
Update: Workers spent Tuesday cleaning up inside Wahoo Willies as investigators look into what sparked the blaze.
Managers hope to open their doors as soon as possible but had scheduled to shut down for the month of September when business is typically slow anyway.
Nearby businesses and restaurants are back open.
FORT MYERS BEACH, Fla. - A popular restaurant going up in smoke on Fort Myers Beach Monday night.
Flames tearing through the kitchen of Wahoo Willies. Heavy smoke could be seen billowing from the restaurant shortly after 8 p.m. Workers say they smelled smoke coming from between two walls in the back of the businesses and decided to evacuate the place.
At least half a dozen fire trucks battled the fire from the roof.
FPL cut power to the area forcing shop owners including an ice cream store to use generators through the night.
No one was hurt and the cause of the fire is still unclear.
- LCSO: Hohensee died from self-inflicted gun shot wound
- Dr. Burke gives last speech before retirement
- Cape woman suffers serious burns after morning kitchen fire
- Memorial Day weekend travel expected to mirror last year
- Fla. man dies after crashing into moving train
- Fla. Gov. asked to return money to insurer
- Fla. woman meets son she gave up for adoption
- Man found floating in water near Marathon
- Hurricane center: Beware of the storm surge
- Missing man's kayak washes up in Pensacola