|Published:||Aug 10, 2010 4:11 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 10, 2010 2:04 AM EDT|
Update: Workers spent Tuesday cleaning up inside Wahoo Willies as investigators look into what sparked the blaze.
Managers hope to open their doors as soon as possible but had scheduled to shut down for the month of September when business is typically slow anyway.
Nearby businesses and restaurants are back open.
FORT MYERS BEACH, Fla. - A popular restaurant going up in smoke on Fort Myers Beach Monday night.
Flames tearing through the kitchen of Wahoo Willies. Heavy smoke could be seen billowing from the restaurant shortly after 8 p.m. Workers say they smelled smoke coming from between two walls in the back of the businesses and decided to evacuate the place.
At least half a dozen fire trucks battled the fire from the roof.
FPL cut power to the area forcing shop owners including an ice cream store to use generators through the night.
No one was hurt and the cause of the fire is still unclear.
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Update: Cape Coral kid hit by car doing 'a lot better'
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- Sheriff: Fla. man kills wife, son with crossbow
- Gifts, volunteers needed for adopt-a-senior holiday program
- Cops: Man shoots friend while watching football
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Pt. Charlotte street closed due to roadway collapse
- 2 Keys men get prison for wildlife trafficking
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41