|Published:||Aug 10, 2010 3:29 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 10, 2010 12:30 PM EDT|
TITUSVILLE, Fla. (AP) - A manatee that was caught in a fishing line is being taken to the Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa for treatment.
Wildlife officials captured the manatee Monday in the Titusville Marina. Officials believe the manatee is one of at least seven in Brevard County that is entangled with the line.
The saved manatee was found entangled by accident Friday by a marine biologist who was swimming in the marina trying to find another animal that is badly entangled. The marine biologist put a radio transmitter on the manatee's tail that allowed it to be located.
The adult female manatee weighs an estimated 1,300 pounds. It had fishing line embedded into its left flipper.
A veterinarian will treat the animal, and it will be released after it recovers.
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- Holiday event raises funds for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey
- Lee County Sheriff's deputies investigating copper theft
- 2 dead after shooting at Miami barbershop
- Panther found dead of suspected gunshot wound