|Published:||Aug 10, 2010 10:55 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 10, 2010 7:25 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - A Fort Myers store is celebrating quite a milestone today: 100 years in business.
At an outside glance, Bartley's Sporting Goods may not look like much. But take a look inside, and you'll quickly see why it's 100 years in the making.
"When you come in the door, they greet you by name, they know you, and they'll take care of you," said longtime customer Sonny Norris.
Loring Strickland, current owner of Bartley's, punches numbers at the same cash register her grandfather--the store's founder--worked behind, keeping the tradition within the family a century after Bartley's first opened its doors.
"I have two daughters and a son-in-law, and they're both very much involved in the store, and they're the next generation to take it," Strickland said Tuesday.
While the merchandise has changed since the store first opened on August 10th, 1910, the service has not. Bartley's prides itself on its continued attention to detail.
"This is a thing of the past, no one wants to get in and compete with the big box stores, and they can because of the service they give," Norris said.
As for the secret to a century of success, Strickland credits hard work...something she plans to continue for years to come.
"I'm not going anywhere folks, for a while. I love this business and I love this job," Strickland said.
Bartley's Sporting Goods originally opened in downtown Fort Myers. They've since moved to their current location on US 41.
- Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41 still closed Thursday morning
- No one hurt in North Fort Myers mobile home fire
- Lehigh family wants schoolbus back
- Grace Church's worm farms help students with special needs
- Rescuers work to herd stranded whales away from SWFL shore
- Florida Supreme Court to discuss medical marijuana Thursday
- Collier County first responders investigate hazmat situation
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys