|Published:||Aug 09, 2010 5:23 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 09, 2010 2:23 PM EDT|
HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (AP) - A South Florida man is dead after apparently being electrocuted while picking mangoes from a tree.
Antonio Martinez was using a ladder and an extension to his aluminum picker to gather the last fruit from the 30-foot tree in his backyard on Saturday when the pole he was holding touched a powerline.
The Hollywood man was taken to Memorial Regional Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Martinez's daughter said her mother heard the fall and tried CPR after finding him on the ground.
The retired mechanic was originally from Pinar del Rio, Cuba.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
- FMPD arrests 10 on drug charges, looking for 9 more
- SWFL residents join in March Against Monsanto
- Request to exhume remains from panhandle school rejected
- Fort Myers Dog Show takes over Lee Civic Center
- Immokalee man bites another mans ear off
- 90 acre brush fire in Charlotte County
- FWC hits water during 'Busiest Boating Weekend'