|Published:||Aug 09, 2010 9:55 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 09, 2010 6:55 PM EDT|
HOMESTEAD, Fla. (AP) - A South Florida man has been charged with second-degree murder after police say he fatally struck his 2-year-old son.
Miami-Dade police charged 23-year-old Lee Willie Dejesus with the murder count Monday. He had previously been charged with aggravated child abuse and neglect.
Lee told investigators last week that he punched his son, Willie Brown, up to 15 times in the head, torso and shoulders while teaching the boy how to box at their Homestead home.
Willie was left in a coma and taken off life-support Thursday.
Miami-Dade prosecutors say they'll seek a first-degree murder charge when the grand jury reconvenes in several weeks.
Dejesus was being held without bail.
- Employees owed money after comedy club closes down
- Cape councilman McClain stays
- Gov. Scott leads trade mission to Chile this week
- Lee Tran routes on proposed budget chopping block
- Enhanced lightning detection on Sanibel Island
- Spada to host salon & spa event for at-risk girls
- State Board of Education to get legislative update