|Published:||Aug 09, 2010 9:55 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 09, 2010 6:55 PM EDT|
HOMESTEAD, Fla. (AP) - A South Florida man has been charged with second-degree murder after police say he fatally struck his 2-year-old son.
Miami-Dade police charged 23-year-old Lee Willie Dejesus with the murder count Monday. He had previously been charged with aggravated child abuse and neglect.
Lee told investigators last week that he punched his son, Willie Brown, up to 15 times in the head, torso and shoulders while teaching the boy how to box at their Homestead home.
Willie was left in a coma and taken off life-support Thursday.
Miami-Dade prosecutors say they'll seek a first-degree murder charge when the grand jury reconvenes in several weeks.
Dejesus was being held without bail.
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- Holiday event raises funds for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Lee County Sheriff's deputies investigating copper theft
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash