|Published:||Aug 05, 2010 3:44 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 05, 2010 12:44 PM EDT|
BARTOW, Fla. (AP) - Authorities in central Florida are searching for a man they say stabbed a friend to death and then drank his blood.
Mauricio Mendez Lopez is accused of killing Macario Cruz in a house they shared in Bartow.
A third resident, Cruz's sister-in-law Mariella Mendez, told police that Lopez was upset because she was in a relationship with Mendez.
A police report shows the men had an argument in which Lopez struck Cruz in the face with a 15-pound dumb bell. He then allegedly threatened to kill them both unless the relationship ended.
Authorities say Lopez returned later and stabbed him to death. She told police Lopez left with a plastic cup in his hand that appeared to hold blood. She said he drank from the cup in a strange ritual from their native Mexico.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Man who lost leg to propeller unable to reach settlement
- Study shows foreclosure numbers down, job growth up in SWFL
- Five years fatality free: Florida set to break gator record
- Sun-N-Fun Lagoon opens for Collier schools' winter break
- Templeton Shootout drives millions into Naples economy
- House to tackle flood insurance rate hikes