|Published:||Aug 05, 2010 10:53 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 05, 2010 7:45 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - The man accused of shooting a 1-year-old baby is now behind bars.
Felipe Escalante was formally arrested after being released from the hospital.
19-year-old Escalante was hospitalized for an undisclosed reason Saturday after he allegedly shot his 1 year-old nephew, Deon.
It happened Saturday afternoon on Wright Street in Fort Myers.
Escalante was watching the baby when the shooting happened.
According to his arrest report, Escalante admits to accidentally shooting the baby.
It also details a bloody crime scene.
The first officer on scene found a trail of blood in the kitchen.
As well as blood in the bedroom and in the bathroom.
The tub was filled with bloody water.
Deon was found lying on the floor wearing only a shirt.
The officer immediately noticed a gun shot wound to the child's abdomen.
The baby is okay.
Circumstances surrounding how the child was shot aren't being released.
Escalante is being charged with aggravated child neglect.
More charges could be filed because Felipe Escalante is a convicted felon and should not have been in possession of a firearm.
- An iconic ship gets a chance to set sail on a new voyage
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Holiday event fundraises for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey
- Attendance up at 2013 Art Basel in Miami Beach
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash
- 2 dead after shooting at Miami barbershop
- Panther found dead of suspected gunshot wound