|Published:||Aug 05, 2010 8:20 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 05, 2010 5:20 PM EDT|
BROOKSVILLE, Fla. (AP) - For the third time in as many days, Tampa Bay area law enforcement have been involved in shootings.
In Hernando County, sheriff's deputies killed 39-year-old Keith Ritchie during a gunfight Wednesday. No officers were hurt but a police dog was shot several times. The dog is recovering.
Also on Wednesday, a St. Petersburg police officer was shot in the leg while serving a drug search warrant. Police said the officer was shot in the leg and described the injury as minor.
On Monday, Hernando County Sheriff's deputies were involved in a shooting that left one man dead and a deputy with non-life threatening injuries. Officers attempted to make a welfare check on Robert J. Capkovic, who then reportedly shot at them. They returned fire, killing Capkovic.
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Interpreter for deaf at Mandela event called fake
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment
- Salvation Army receives another 'Mimi coin' donation
- 1 suspect in Miami-Dade police manhunt identified