BROOKSVILLE, Fla. (AP) - For the third time in as many days, Tampa Bay area law enforcement have been involved in shootings.
In Hernando County, sheriff's deputies killed 39-year-old Keith Ritchie during a gunfight Wednesday. No officers were hurt but a police dog was shot several times. The dog is recovering.
Also on Wednesday, a St. Petersburg police officer was shot in the leg while serving a drug search warrant. Police said the officer was shot in the leg and described the injury as minor.
On Monday, Hernando County Sheriff's deputies were involved in a shooting that left one man dead and a deputy with non-life threatening injuries. Officers attempted to make a welfare check on Robert J. Capkovic, who then reportedly shot at them. They returned fire, killing Capkovic.
- Shooting investigation in North Fort Myers
- Group protests taxes in Cape Coral by a 'Call to Arms'
- Small Fla. city anxious to learn jackpot winner
- Jungle Golf fundraiser putts for patriots
- Truck carrying mulch rolls over at Colonial & Plantation
- Miss. probationer caught in central Florida
- Long-term care Medicaid patients start enrolling