|Published:||Aug 04, 2010 3:31 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 04, 2010 12:31 PM EDT|
HOMESTEAD, Fla. (AP) - A South Florida toddler is brain dead and his father charged with aggravated child abuse and neglect after allegedly punching the child in a "boxing" lesson.
According to Miami-Dade police, Lee Wille DeJesus told investigators he punched his son repeatedly, up to 15 times, while the boy was on a bed to teach him how to box.
Two-year-old Willy Brown underwent surgery at Miami Children's Hospital.
DeJesus reportedly told investigators that the boy had been knocked off the bed and struck his head against a bedroom wall and tile floor. DeJesus allegedly waited 30 minutes to an hour to call 911.
DeJesus is being held at the Miami-Dade County jail on more than $57,000 bail.
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- Charlotte detectives look for suspect in credit card fraud
- Rollover shuts down part of SB I-75 at Colonial
- Report: mother at fault in fatal Alligator Alley crash
- Festival of Dance to feature many genres this weekend
- Fire shuts down Jersey's Sports Cafe
- IRS hits Miccosukee tribe with $170M tax bill
- Boil water notice in effect after Cape water main break
- Invalid DL leads to Port Charlotte drug arrest
- Man accused in 2012 Three Oaks murder appears in court