|Published:||Aug 04, 2010 4:27 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 04, 2010 1:27 AM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla. - A neighbor rescued a man from a burning apartment in Cape Coral Tuesday afternoon.
Firefighters say the fire started in the bedroom of a second floor apartment on Viceroy Street. John Burchill heard noises upstairs and went to see what was wrong.
"He was laying on the floor with one elbow up, with the phone in his hand going, 'I gotta dial 911.' I said, I gotta get you out of here," Burchill said.
Burchill was able to pull the man from his apartment and downstairs to safety. The victim was taken to the hospital.
Two animals were also rescued from the building.
The fire has been ruled accidental. Firefighters found an oxygen generator and smoking material in the man's bedroom.
Damage is estimated at 200-thousand dollars, leaving people in four apartment units homeless.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis