|Published:||Aug 04, 2010 4:27 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 04, 2010 1:27 AM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla. - A neighbor rescued a man from a burning apartment in Cape Coral Tuesday afternoon.
Firefighters say the fire started in the bedroom of a second floor apartment on Viceroy Street. John Burchill heard noises upstairs and went to see what was wrong.
"He was laying on the floor with one elbow up, with the phone in his hand going, 'I gotta dial 911.' I said, I gotta get you out of here," Burchill said.
Burchill was able to pull the man from his apartment and downstairs to safety. The victim was taken to the hospital.
Two animals were also rescued from the building.
The fire has been ruled accidental. Firefighters found an oxygen generator and smoking material in the man's bedroom.
Damage is estimated at 200-thousand dollars, leaving people in four apartment units homeless.
- Hostage situation ends in house fire, man found dead inside
- Ft. Myers man dies in New Jersey crash, wife critically hurt
- FWC relocates largest black bear captured in Fla.
- Sun Splash Waterpark begins summer hours Friday
- Desoto officials search for missing Nocatee man
- Union vote set for some Lee Co. government workers
- Salvation Army of Fla. assists Oklahoma tornado victims
- Island Park brush fire remains mostly contained
- Investigation determines electrical problems caused bus fire
- Coast Guard repatriates 7 Cuban migrants