|Published:||Aug 03, 2010 8:12 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 03, 2010 5:12 PM EDT|
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A suspected shoplifter was charged with theft and child neglect after she reportedly left her baby behind at a West Palm Beach department store.
Police report that 23-year-old Crystal Whitaker and a 16-year-old girl went into a JCPenney dressing room Friday and came out with $256 worth of merchandise hidden in a shopping bag. Police say employees tried to stop the women, but they ran outside too quickly. Outside, employees found the 10-month-old child, all the stolen merchandise and Whitaker's purse and identification.
The teen and the infant were taken back in the store, and authorities tracked down Whitaker. The Florida Department of Children and Families took the infant.
Whitaker was arrested and later released on her own recognizance.
- Cape Police find child living in deplorable conditions
- Deputies confiscate handgun from students at Alva Middle
- Lee County judge rules in favor of son in life or death case
- Ford logo creates close call for FGCU men's basketball team
- FGCU WINS!
- Cape PD: Man buys iPad with stolen credit card
- Teens arrested with gun at school were searched Wednesday
- Principal charged with sexually assaulting staffer
- Sailboat off Marco Island tries to ride out Thursday's storm
- WINK News viewers capture pictures, videos of SWFL storms