|Published:||Aug 03, 2010 8:12 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 03, 2010 5:12 PM EDT|
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A suspected shoplifter was charged with theft and child neglect after she reportedly left her baby behind at a West Palm Beach department store.
Police report that 23-year-old Crystal Whitaker and a 16-year-old girl went into a JCPenney dressing room Friday and came out with $256 worth of merchandise hidden in a shopping bag. Police say employees tried to stop the women, but they ran outside too quickly. Outside, employees found the 10-month-old child, all the stolen merchandise and Whitaker's purse and identification.
The teen and the infant were taken back in the store, and authorities tracked down Whitaker. The Florida Department of Children and Families took the infant.
Whitaker was arrested and later released on her own recognizance.
- Suspects in San Carlos Park home invasion caught
- FHP investigating accident Lehigh Acres
- State Board of Education to get legislative update
- Spada to host salon & spa event for at-risk girls
- How you can help tornado victims in Oklahoma
- Lee school board narrows down supt. search
- Vandals cause damage at St. Leo's Catholic church
- Florida emergency officials ready to assist OK victims
- McGregor Baptist offers way to Help Tornado Victims
- Cape councilman McClain stays