|Published:||Aug 03, 2010 4:55 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 03, 2010 1:55 PM EDT|
SPRING HILL, Fla. (AP) - The Hernando County Sheriff's Office is investigating a deputy-involved shooting that left one man dead and a deputy with non-life threatening injuries.
Deputies went to the Spring Hill residence of Robert J. Capkovic to conduct a welfare check on Monday. The homeowner did not answer the door, and neighbors said they had not seen him in weeks.
When deputies entered Capkovic's home, the sheriff's office says Capkovic fired at them.
The deputies retreated, set up a SWAT team and attempted to make contact with Capkovic. When that failed, chemical agents were deployed and deputies entered the home again.
Authorities say Capkovic shot at the deputies. They returned fire, fatally wounding the resident.
One deputy was hospitalized and later released.
- Man allegedly shoots at family, barricades himself in house
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- Southbound I-75 reopens after rollover crash near Colonial
- Charlotte detectives look for suspect in credit card fraud
- Crews battle brush fire near Island Park
- Report: mother at fault in fatal Alligator Alley crash
- Fire shuts down Jersey's Sports Cafe
- IRS hits Miccosukee tribe with $170M tax bill
- SWFL soldier surprises kids live on WINK News
- Festival of Dance to feature many genres this weekend