|Published:||Jul 26, 2010 11:40 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 26, 2010 8:21 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS BEACH, Fla. - More than 3 weeks after Carolyn Mahon was viciously attacked by two Rottweilers, she's now alert and conscious. She wants to make sure those dogs don't hurt anyone else.
"My last vision was one of those dogs lying beside me licking his chops," Carolyn Mahon said.
The 64 year old fights off tears, remembering the frightening moments when the two dogs ripped her apart and threw her around like a .
"I don't know what happened, all I know is I was ripped and shredded until I was totally totally totally scalped," Mahon said.
While Mahon initially said she didn't want the dogs to die, the grogginess and anesthesia have worn off. And as she awaits yet another surgery Tuesday morning, the lifelong animal lover speaks words she, never though she'd say in a million years: "The dogs need to be euthanized. I don't think this is a choice I should have to make. I assumed that she would make it."
Julie Urian, the dogs' owner, tells us her dogs "live and remain within a fully fenced area with a locked gate...on the day Ms. Mahon was injured, she had been advised that I was not home...nonetheless Ms. Mahon traveled to my home, obtained the key to the lock on the gate from a secret location, and let herself into the fenced area."
She says she sincerely hopes Mahon fully recovers as quickly as possible. Still, Mahon says fence or not, the dogs could attack again, and next time, the victim might not be so lucky. "Those dogs could be down there and have them a meal and a couple dead bodies in nothing flat," Mahon said.
Lee County Animal Services tells us the investigation into the dog attack never started because Mahon initially refused to give a statement. They say if she changes her mind, she is welcome to give her testimony when she is released from the hospital, and they'll move forward from there.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis