|Published:||Jul 16, 2010 4:27 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 16, 2010 1:27 AM EDT|
LIGHTHOUSE POINT, Fla. - A 24-year-old South Florida woman has been arrested on charges of child neglect after a police officer found her 5-year-old son wandering the streets.
Candice Johansen is being held on $6,000 bail.
Authorities say an officer found Johansen's son in Lighthouse Point after midnight on Tuesday. When the officer asked the boy where his mother was, the child allegedly said, "smoking a cigarette somewhere."
Police say they went to the boy's apartment, where they found Johansen's 3-year-old son alone in the home. Investigators say the children's mother returned at 2:30 a.m.
Johansen has also been charged with battery on a law enforcement officer.
The state Department of Children & Families has taken custody of the children.
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- UNF golfer killed in small plane crash
- 3 arrested in stolen exam scheme at FIU
- Miami-Dade Police officer shot, hospitalized
- Beach renourishment winding down in Naples
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'
- Embry-Riddle invited to Sunshine State Conference
- Florida A&M could have probation lifted