|Published:||Jul 13, 2010 7:14 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 13, 2010 4:15 PM EDT|
PAHOKEE, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a 98-year-old man who had been missing for days has been found dead in Lake Okeechobee.
Charles Mayrowetz's body was found Sunday. He had been reported missing from his Boca Raton-area home on Thursday.
The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office says Mayrowetz had been driving on the lake levee in Pahokee when he drove backward through tall grass and some rocks into the lake marsh.
Authorities found Mayrowetz in the water outside his car. The medical examiner determined drowning was the cause of death.
Authorities believe Mayrowetz was in the early stages of dementia.
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- 2 die in South Florida motorcycle crash
- SWFL gathering Saturday to support elderly smack cam victim
- Man catches dog thief in the act
- Post Office offers help on Sundays
- Ft. Myers woman reflects on Mandela, growing up in S. Africa
- Edcational app making the grade in Lee County Schools
- Garrod Drywall burglary suspect blacks out cameras
- Couple killed while crossing US 1 in central Fla.
- Naples beach renourishment project set to wrap up next week