|Published:||Jun 26, 2010 12:29 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 25, 2010 9:15 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - A Lee County woman is fed up with people breaking into her house. She said the burglars are coming from Billy Bowlegs Park behind her home, and police aren't doing anything about it.
Billy Bowlegs Park is supposed to close at dusk, but a homeowner said that's when burglars are making their way down a walking trail that backs up to her house.
Tamara Ellerbee used to enjoy trees that provide privacy in her backyard. but now she said, people are using her privacy to commit crimes.
"It sits so far back, nobody can see them. They can break in, grab whatever, run through here."
Behind the brush is Billy Bowlegs Park.
"I knew it was going to be a breeding ground for crime."
Since March, Ellerbee has called deputies three times. First, a man tried to get in her home - ringing the door bell, banging on the door, and yelling. Ellerbee waited inside with a gun until deputies arrived.
Then in May "they knocked a hole in here, climbed through."
Her bedroom was ransacked, and beer was stolen from the fridge, and just Tuesday, the back door was destroyed.
"It was shattered all the way out. I'm still cleaning up glass."
Fort Myers PD said officers have been to Billy Bowlegs Park 159 times this year for extra patrol. In fact, officers said they're there a lot because the police athletic league office is there... but even after the patrols and installing a security system, Ellerbee still feels trapped in her own home.
"My grandfather farmed all this land and my mother was born in the house down there across the street, and I don't even want to live here. I feel like i'm in prison."
Now, Ellerbee wants the city to fence in the park so criminals can't make a fast get away through the tress in her backyard.
- Woman's throat slit by daughter's boyfriend, 15
- Police arrest man who crashed his car into Cape canal
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- Crist defends President Obama, blasts Scott
- FMPD arrests 2, seizes drugs, cash and handgun during search
- Driver suffers serious injuries after causing 3-car crash
- CCSO investigates Waffle House armed robbery
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.
- Men allegedly point guns at FMPD officers