|Published:||Jun 18, 2010 5:07 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 18, 2010 2:07 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.-Brand new unemployment numbers show a positive sign for Southwest Florida. Statewide, unemployment is down for the month of May. Unemployment is at 11.7% compared to 12% in April. That's a drop of .3%. Some of the credit goes to more than 4,000 Gulf Coast recovery jobs that are now available statewide.
Locally, the numbers are also down from month-to-month but up year-to-year.
Charlotte County unemployment is at 12% for May 2010. That's down from 12.6% in April 2010 but up from 11% in May 2009.
Collier County unemployment is 11.2% in May 2010, down from 11.5% in April 2010 but up from 10.1% in May of 2009.
Lee County unemployment is at 12.5% in May 2010, down from 12.7% in April but up from 11.8% in May of 2009.
Unfortunately, Hendry County ranks in the top five across the state for highest unemployment. It increased both month-to-month and year-to-year.
- FMPD IDs victim in fatal shooting, suspect search continues
- Charlotte deputies ID body found in burned garage
- Police find 2 bodies inside West Palm Beach school
- Fla. school tells students to drop online classes
- Judge sends N. Fla. man to prison for life
- Poll: Rubio gets negative marks on immigration
- 2 children remain hospitalized after near drowning incidents
- School board approves new superintendent's contract
- Dr. Joseph Burke's Last Day as Superintendent
- Judge reads charge against Zimmerman to jurors