|Published:||Jun 18, 2010 12:30 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 17, 2010 9:37 PM EDT|
NAPLES, Fla - The Collier County Public School Board approved a MOU presented by The Jackson Laboratory today outlining future educational programs between the laboratory and public schools.
The Memorandum of Understanding establishes the parameters for a successful partnership between Collier County Public Schools and the Laboratory. It is the intent of the school system to coordinate its educational offerings in the fields of science, technology, engineering and Math (STEM) for students, teachers and the community at large.
The signed memorandum allows Collier County Public Schools to actively work to establish linkages between the laboratory and all levels of pre K-12 education. Collaborative programs would include teacher internships and externships, student internships, science projects, field trips and summer programs.
The Jackson Laboratory, a non-profit institution, is one of the world's premier genetics research facilities as well as a provider of genetic resources and services to the global biomedical research community. With locations in Maine and California, it currently employs approximately 1400 people. Jackson Laboratory scientists have conducted pioneering research in areas such as organ and bone marrow transplants, Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer's disease and glaucoma. Research at the Laboratory and resources they provide have contributed to 22 Nobel Prizes to date.
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- CCSO: no reason to believe accused murderer heading to SWFL
- Man who rescued motorcycle rider, killed in crash on Friday
- Redmond HIV case could be thrown out under Fla. law
- SAO drops grand theft charge against fmr. commissioner
- APNewsBreak: Fla. congressman lost $18M in scheme
- Girlfriend wants charges dropped against Zimmerman
- Realtors and police warn of rental fraud hitting SWFL
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end