|Published:||Jun 04, 2010 10:19 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 04, 2010 7:21 PM EDT|
PICAYUNE STATE FOREST, Fla. - Authorities are aggressively battling a 40-acre fire in the Picayune Strand State Forest. As of 5:00 p.m. Friday, it was about 30% contained, though the flames are said to be approaching the Fakahatchee Strand Preserve State Park.
No structures are threatened, but authorities say smoke may be problematic for drivers on Alligator Alley. Officials will be placing sigage on the roadway to urge motorists to use caution.
The flames were sparked by lighting Thursday.
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- Man accused of leaving baby in car no stranger to law
- Realtors and police warn of rental fraud hitting SWFL
- Winter weather delays flights in and out of RSW
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- Girlfriend wants charges dropped against Zimmerman
- 3 arrested in stolen exam scheme at FIU
- UNF golfer killed in small plane crash
- Miami-Dade Police officer shot, hospitalized
- Beach renourishment winding down in Naples