|Published:||Jun 03, 2010 5:02 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 03, 2010 12:45 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla. - Cape Coral police have identified the child that was struck and killed last night on NE 11th Terrace as 7-year-old Abigail Lynn Janssen.
Authorities say 7-year-old Janssen was playing on a skateboard on a driveway in the 800 block of NE 11th Terrace with 10-year-old Anna McManus. Each child was laying chest down on a skateboard, and they were rolling down the driveway and into the street when the accident occurred.
The driver of a 2004 Blue Ford F-150, identified as 27-year-old Cape Coral resident Jacob Aaron Amann, was traveling west on NE 11th Terrace when the crash occurred around 7:45 p.m. Wednesday evening. The driver says he did not see the girls until they entered the roadway.
Police say the driver hit his brakes and veered to the left in an attempt to avoid the girls. The investigation indicates that the front right tire of the vehicle struck Janssen. The other child, Anna McManus, was following behind Janssen; she was struck by the rear tire but she suffered non-life threatening injuries. Janssen died at the scene.
According to authorities, "as part of the investigation, a blood sample was taken from Jacob Amann and will be sent to the FDLE lab for toxicology results."
The investigation into the fatal crash is ongoing.
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Redmond: Man charged with spreading HIV wants case dropped
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- WINK News gets Collier call center employees back pay
- Cape Coral Elks Lodge forced to shut its doors
- Four Lee County Schools will have extended hours in January
- Red drift algae could pile up on SWFL beaches in 2014
- Closing of Fla. power plant will take 60 years
- Real life grinch steals Christmas stockings
- Beach renourishment winds down in Naples