|Published:||Jun 03, 2010 10:56 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 03, 2010 8:05 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla. - An entire neighborhood is stunned after a 7-year-old girl was killed and her 10-year-old cousin injured in a Wednesday night accident.
Cape Coral police say 7-year-old Abigail Lynn Janssen was playing on a skateboard on a driveway in the 800 block of NE 11th Terrace with 10-year-old Anna McManus. Each child was laying chest down on a skateboard, and they were rolling down the driveway and into the street when the accident occurred.
The driver of a 2004 Blue Ford F-150, identified as 27-year-old Cape Coral resident Jacob Aaron Amann, was traveling west on NE 11th Terrace at approximately 30 miles per hour when the crash occurred around 7:45 p.m. Wednesday evening. The driver says he did not see the girls until they entered the roadway. He braked and tried to swerve, but it was too late; the right front tire of the truck struck Janssen. The 7-year-old died at the scene.
Janssen's cousin, Anna McManus, was struck by the rear tire but she suffered non-life threatening injuries. McManus was out of the hospital and back at home as of 5:00 p.m. Thursday.
Grief stricken, the family declined to comment.
According to authorities, "as part of the investigation, a blood sample was taken from Jacob Amann and will be sent to the FDLE lab for toxicology results." The investigation into the fatal crash is ongoing.
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- Holiday event raises funds for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey
- Lee County Sheriff's deputies investigating copper theft
- 2 dead after shooting at Miami barbershop
- Panther found dead of suspected gunshot wound