|Published:||Jun 01, 2010 9:42 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 01, 2010 6:43 PM EDT|
HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (AP) - A Hollywood woman accused of strangling her 3-year-old daughter has pleaded not guilty to murder.
Police say 39-year-old Cheryl Arthur told them in April that she killed the child because she was feeling overwhelmed and depressed and did not want the child to turn out like her.
Arthur is on suicide watch at the Broward County Jail, where she is being held without bail.
Authorities say Arthur was arrested after she walked into a fire station with the child's lifeless body. Arthur's attorney, Assistant Public Defender George Reres, said Tuesday that "There is a major mental-health component." He also said there is evidence that needs to be followed up on.
- North Fort Myers mobile home fire displaces family
- Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41 still closed Thursday morning
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- Lehigh family wants schoolbus back
- Legal fate of FSU quarterback to be answered
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- EXCLUSIVE: Watlington family looking ahead, but still grieve
- New bridge has glitch that keeps a section up for 30 minutes
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel